Thursday, July 27, 2006

On Job hunting in Academic Librarianship

I know, i know, I said I was going to keep the linkbacking to a minimum--but I keep running into such interesting stuff lately! The article below from the chronicle is a great synopsis of the angst of the Academic Library Job search. I was fortunate in that my first (and only) job offer came about 10 days after my interview, and my soon-to-be director actually apologized about the delay! granted, that was for a paraprofessional slot at a small university, but From what I've heard since then, I was darned lucky. (especially since I heard about my promotion about 24 hours after I interviewed for that! ) Anyway, it sounds like my experience is not exactly typical. So, What have your library job searches been like?

http://chronicle.com/jobs/news/2006/07/2006072701c/careers.html