Thursday, March 01, 2007

RSS Digest: March 1, 2007

Happy day before Friday! Here’s the neatest cites I ran across this week. One other note--I’d appreciate feedback on these digests—please let me know if I’m posting things you’re interested in, or if they’re the same links you get from 50 other blogs, if you want these to be longer, shorter, more or less on particular topics…you get the gist!


LIS Links

Worcester Telegram & Gazette News There's a stupid person born every minute...*sigh*
Wise crowds with long tails | TechEssence.Info Worth reading.
ResourceShelf » CRS Reports: Information, Please I've been seeing this issue around a lot of places lately, and I must agree--if we're paying for this stuff, and it's not classified, why not? They can even strip out the name of the congressperson who requested it if they're THAT paranoid...
ResourceShelf » Usage statistics and scholarly communications & The Open Archive for Library and Information Science An possibly useful batch of statistics...
Library Talk: The Can't Do Attitude A rant that all too many of us can sympathize with...and a reminder of how lucky I am with MPOW--they may not always "get it"at first, but they recognize it's worth getting!
Library 2.0: An Academic's Perspective: Two Must-Read 2.0 Blogs Good blogs, both, but dang it, I have 91 feeds right now! *whimper*
Creating Passionate Users: How much control should our users have? You know...I've suspected this for a while...we can't just throw new toys out there for our users to learn--we have to make them worth the pain of the learning curve, and explain to users why they're worth it.


Productivity Links

Recalculate your paycheck deductions - Lifehacker While I hate the notion of giving George W. Bush an interest free loan for a year (that's what a refund IS, folks...), I hate surprises on my taxes too. a great way to balance your deductions just right...
The GMail Nerve Center - lifehack.org I know I'm not using gmail as well as I could--here are some tricks to make this great tool work even better.
Organizing Paper and Information: 7 Mistakes that Sabotage Your Productivity - lifehack.org #7 on this hits home for me today--I've got a friend who had a freak hard drive crash last night, and lost a lot of stuff...she should be able to recover some of the things she lost, but that will be her main project for the next few weeks...
Priorities and Posteriorities - lifehack.org How to NOT get things done. A must read for those who want to get things done. (yes, this makes sense...)
Productivity & Organizing Myth #6 – I can find anything in my piles. - lifehack.org Confirming what I've suspected for a long time...those piles on the desk don't just not work for me--they don't work for most everybody. :-)
GTD + Your Emotional Life - lifehack.org A thought-provoking article on consciously managing...your emotions. Click through to the comments—there’s quite a spirited discussion going on…
Clean like a maid! » Curbly | DIY Design Community « Keywords: cleaning, tips Where have you been all my life?
Mash up RSS feeds with xFruits - Lifehacker Haven't gotten around to playing with this, but I've got a few ideas rattling in my head on ways I could consolidate my feeds...
Plan your meals more effectively with Meals Matter - Lifehacker I've tried various ways to plan my weekly menus in advance (I belong to a food co-op and get a bag of meat and veggies once a week, which makes planning both easier and harder). I'll give this a whirl and see what happens...
zen habits: Edit Your Life, Part 1: Commitments I've been trying to do this lately...

Cool reference sites of the week: Mostly Maps

ResourceShelf » Resource of the Week: Motherlode of Iraq Maps With the exception of those readers who have family or friends in Iraq, I'm betting you couldn't find Tikrit on a map. If I'm right, check out this site...
Seterra - Learn Geography. Free Software. After you finish refreshing your Iraq geography knowledge, why not expand your focus? download this puppy and you'll be finding small countries on the map faster than you can say Djibouti!
ResourceShelf » Melissa Data Adds Census Tract Info and Maps Continuing on my trend of map-based reference sites, here’s a neat resource closer to home. It seems to do something a bit different from the similar maps at the Census website, and it's very interesting.
ResourceShelf » Pixsy’s Starhabit Database Some new features on a very nifty video search engine...
Fun & Games « Panorama of the Mountains A couple of brain teasers and one addictive-looking game...I've got enough problem with Kyodai, so I think I'll steer clear of the latter...)


Have a good weekend, everyone! :-)