Thursday, March 08, 2007

RSS Digest: March 8, 2007

RSS Digest time again! I’m taking the comment silence to mean that you are happy with the mix of things I post here (or are trapped under something heavy and can’t reach the keyboard *smirk*). Also, you may have noticed I didn’t do a Tuesday post. I spent half the day Tuesday at an instruction session at one of our remote campuses (and was a bit under the weather to boot), and I just didn’t make it that far down my to-do list. I still plan to do the job search article next Tuesday, and will probably follow that up with a networking guide for shy librarian types. Thanks for all your patience and comments!

LIS Stuff

Building a Personal Finance Library: 25 of the Best Books About Money ∞ Get Rich Slowly Most of these books are no-brainers (and are already in your collections, no doubt)--but take a look for your library--and for yourself. :-)

Tame The Web: Libraries and Technology: Ten Tech Trends for Librarians 2007 READ. Title says it all.

The Shifted Librarian: It's Going to Be Okay, IT Librarians Yes, I know I linked to these guys already. They've done more videos. My hubby Kevin (software developer) and I laughed our butts off...

The Shifted Librarian: Keeping Up When You Don't Have the Time For those of you who can't deal with 20+ mailing lists, a half-dozen journals, and 91 RSS feeds...(some days, I think I can't deal with that either, and I'm an info-addict...)

The Chronicle: 3/9/2007: Information Navigation 101 GO. READ. THIS. NOW!!!! I can't tell you how many students I've helped who navigate myspace and facebook like they wrote the things but dan't put together a basic search query--in ebsco OR google.

LISNews.org | Why Google's universal library is an assault on human identity erm...not sure I'd be that (melo)dramatic about it, but food for thought nonetheless.

Library 2.0 Social network You have joined this...right?

Catalogablog: Masterkey Metasearch tool hmm....sails over my head, but sounds like it's got some interesting implcations.

Less Facebook And More Face In Book A-Freaking-Men. And I say that as n social network addicted blogging uber tech geek.

The Distant Librarian: CFP: Internet Librarian 2007 You're going, right? This conference is worth every penny. I'm hoping to make it myself, if the stars align...

» The embattled MLS Is an MLS needed to be a good library manager? An interesting debate, and honestly, I can see both sides. (I've called on my business experience heavily in my LIS career, but my MLS has halped me a lot too...)

Time Management/Lifehacks

The key to staying calm in an argument - Lifehacker Required reading if your work involves dealing with other human beings (AKA all of us)

Make your brain learn faster - Lifehacker mainly common sense, but worth reading...

Download of the Day: Google Desktop 5.0 (Windows) - Lifehacker Productivity tool or bloatware? you be the judge...

10 Tips to Help Keep Your Desk Clean « Ian’s Messy Desk my desk is okay right now...but give it 5 minutes. A guide to keeping the chaos controlled.

GTD Pitfalls - lifehack.org *nods*--I really try not to be one of those people who blogs incessantly about GTD but doesn't actually DO anything, but it's a fine line...

Productivity & Organizing Myth #7 – A person’s office or home can get decluttered and organized in hours or weekend (or 30 minute t.v. show). - lifehack.org *sigh* sad but true...

How To Cultivate Purpose - lifehack.org Some good thoughts for planning in those "higher altitudes"

Cool Reference Sites of the week

ResourceShelf » More “Doing Business In” Country Commercial Guides Hit the Web Some interesting resources for those of you who have patrons interested in/studying international business...

ResourceShelf » New Web Site: GovBudget.com You pay taxes, right? then go take a look at how they get spent.

Smithsonian Institution Libraries: Make the Dirt Fly! a man, a plan, a canal: Panama (I always wanted to use a palindrome in a blog post!)

Daylight Saving Time - Saving Time, Saving Energy I still not convinced the world needs DST, but here's an explanation of the history and reasons behind springing forward and falling back...

Tartan Day Don't forget to wear your kilt! warning--this site blasts bagpipes at you, so you may want to mute your computer unless you like that sort of thing. I do (except when it pops out of a website with no warning), but I lived in Scotland for a year…

Have a great weekend, everyone!